Friday, March 23, 2007

NEWS WORTHY ITEMS

Yesterday ended up being a very interesting day. The old, abandoned house (aka walmart from when we were working on our house) beside us came down yesterday. They have been working on it for a while, but yesterday was the big day. There was a big cat there with the scoop bucket thingy on the front just pulling up to the house when we came home from work at about 3:30. They started pulling it apart at about 4:00 and were done by about 8:30. It was amazing to watch. It looked like a big t-rex devouring it's prey. They had a huge fire to burn everything. Actually the fire is still going strong this morning. It looks a little strange with a big empty space there. But on the bright side (my kids hate this one), I can keep an eye on them when they are at the big toy or the swings with their friends.

Hannah is going to Whitehorse with a group from school. Tim, the local pastor, is taking 6 kids to a workshop on drugs and alcohol. It is put on by the Whitehorse PARTY program (prevent alcohol and risk related trauma in youth). It is basically a way to educate students about the consequences of drinking and driving, and other risky behaviour. I am really excited that Hannah gets to go. I think that the best weapon anyone can have is knowledge. I want my kids to be fully aware of the consequences of certain behaviour. They are at the age where they are making their own decisions more and more. So far we haven't had any problems at all with our kids. They are not interested in smoking, drinking or drugs. They all have great friends that are not interested in that stuff either. Anyways, Hannah will be leaving on Sunday and returning Tuesday night.

I have started going to the gym. They have a workout room in the youth centre that I can use for free. I talked to the guy who runs it and he said I could go anytime and that he would keep the door locked so the kids couldn't come in. So, I've started taking Naomi and Josh with me. Both of them have been getting sick a lot, so I want to get them more active. It is a great thing to do together too. They have a t.v. and satellite dish there too, so we put that on while we are on the bikes or the treadmill. The government has just donated money through the diabetes awareness program for them to buy new equipment. So far there are 2 new treadmills, a gazelle machine and they have ordered a new universal gym. After Easter they are going to start a ladies workout time, so I will probably go to that. The really good news is that my inches are still going down. I lost another 2 1/2", for a total of 17 1/4".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can pretend that I am there with ya at the gym

marge said...

Congratulations on your loss of inches. It's so good that you can go with your kids to the gym. And good for Hannah. I'm sure this will be a good experience for her.

Anonymous said...

What a great experience for Hannah. Paige got to go to a Peer Helping Conference last Friday where she learned about the same kind of things.

Yay for a free gym! I wish I had a free gym I could go to.