Monday, December 25, 2006

WOW! WHAT A CHRISTMAS!!!

Where do I start????? Last night Brian and I thought we would be very smart. We decided to take the kids stockings and fill them, but not put them in their rooms until about 3:00 am when they would be sure to be asleep. However, not everything goes as planned. Brian woke up around 1:30 and so we decided that we may as well just put them out now, the kids seemed to be sleeping. So, we snuck into their room with the stockings and decided to put them on Naomi's dresser so that Oscar wouldn't get into them. As soon as we went into the room Oscar bounded out of bed. He saw us putting out stockings and remembered that this was something he could open. So, thinking all was well, I went to the kitchen for a drink and on the way back to bed I heard whispering coming from the kids room. I just laughed, what else could I do? Then I went to bed. About 5 minutes later I could hear Oscar walking down the hall - click, click, click. Knowing that this was definitely not Santa on the rooftop, I listened carefully. I could hear him walk into the living room and stop. Knowing his penchant for opening presents I went to investigate. There he was opening a present. Again I just laughed and taped the present back up. Interestingly he never bothered with the presents under the tree until he saw the stockings. I really don't know what he planned to do with Hannah's new underwear! Then joy of joys I brought him to bed with me so that I could keep an eye on him. All night I could hear the kids whispering. I don't think they even got a wink of sleep. In the morning the kids came to our room to see what we had in our stockings. Of course Oscar came too and was excited beyond belief. He was trying to grab things out of Brian's stocking and was bounding around the bed. We finally had to bring him his own present to open. This is one of those things you have to see to believe. When we finally made our way out to the tree we gave Oscar his stocking first and he just started tearing presents apart. Then he grabbed the paper while I was opening a gift and was ripping it off. He definitely provided a lot of extra excitement. We opened up our presents and everyone was very happy with their gifts - and everything fit! However, we had 3 boxes that we were saving for last. Before they could open them we had to have breakfast. As I said to them, once you open the last 3 boxes all sanity will leave you, so we need to eat now. Then they were able to open the last 3 gifts. They were helmets to go with the new ski-doo we bought them. It is 2004, brand new, Arctic Cat - we got a great deal on it. You should have heard the squeals of delight. They were so excited. Here they are all ready to go:

Brian and I worked very hard to keep this a secret. We bought it in Whitehorse and had it delivered to a friends house. Then on Christmas Eve day we went over and hooked up the sled and made sure everything was ready to go. Around 4:30, just when it was getting dark, Brian walked over and picked it up. I stayed and watched t.v. with the kids, making sure there was lots of noise in the house. Brian pulled up right outside the living room window and kids never heard a thing. We kept worrying they would look out the window and see it, but they never did. I think we definitely deserve the parents of the year award for this.
4 comments

No comments: