Saturday, December 9, 2006

TRYING SOMETHING NEW

We just returned home from our Christmas trip in to Whitehorse. As always it was a rush and there was never a dull moment. This year was turning out to be especially hectic. We had to take the truck in to the shop for some major work. I knew we would have to leave it there all day, so I was planning to just walk where I needed to go and make do the best that I could. However, those plans crashed to the ground when I was on my way out of the first store that I shopped in. My arms were loaded down with bags, and in my great wisdom, I thought well, I will just drop these back at the hotel and then continue on to the next store. About half way back I realized that I would spend more than half the day walking back and forth to the hotel and my arms would be about 2 feet longer due to all the heavy carrying. So, I phoned the car rental place and rented a car. It was the best money I ever spent. Brian was off shopping so I just had to go ahead. Then when I was driving back to the hotel I passed him. He was so surprised, but totally understood. My next stop was Walmart, needless to say, the trunk of the car was now full. Anyways, we spent the day shopping and filling the car, kind of like the clown car that you can just keep filling up. Naomi had her xrays for her back, but it will be after Christmas before we can see the doctor about them. Here's the real kicker - we all met back at the hotel before supper and phoned about our truck - they were still working on it. They had started at about 8:00 in the morning and were still going. I was informed that all the bolts they were trying to get off were rusted so bad that he couldn't get them out. What was supposed to be 6 hours of work ended up being about 10. They wanted to keep our truck all day Saturday as well, however, the mechanic didn't want to have to face our truck again for another day, so he stayed until 9:00 at night and finally got it finished. They had to replace some seals and gaskets on the manifold. Well, glad that it over with.
Here's the great news. The kids all went to see Happy Feet, so Brian and I decided to do something totally new - we went to a karoke bar. It was such a blast. I wasn't going to sing, but they brought out the books with the lists of songs and I thought what the heck. So, I was sitting there filling out the paper with the song and in walks a big crowd of people from Ross. I was so nervous, but I got up and sang anyways. I sang "Cowboy Take Me Away". I was so nervous, you wouldn't think I would be after all the performing, etc I have done, but I was terrified that I would have a Cameron Diaz moment (like on My Best Friend's Wedding) and be totally flat. But Brian was sitting there beaming and everything went great. So, I thought what the heck I will do a couple more. I sang Everyday Is a Winding Road - didn't do so hot at that one, then Soak Up the Sun - which Brian said I totally nailed. It was such a blast, I can't wait to do it again. The funniest thing was when this other couple got up. The girl went up first and sang by herself, then she called her boyfriend up and he didn't know what they were going to sing, but he went up anyways. Just as he is walking on the stage the music for Summer Nights from Grease starts and he says "Oh crap!" It was so funny. But they did a great job, they really got into it. This is a definite do again. Actually get yourself ready Sonya - we're taking you guys. Maybe Brian and Gary should sing a song each too. (hee, hee, hee)
2 comments

No comments: