Tuesday, January 30, 2007

SHE'S NOT AS DEFORMED AS WE THOUGHT

When we were in Whitehorse I took Naomi to the chiropractor. She is still having headaches every single day and the doctors had not been able to find any cause for them. She was getting pretty discouraged about it. Sometimes her headaches were so bad she just stayed in bed for the day. It was determined they weren't migraines. So, I thought it certainly can't hurt to go to the chiropractor. What I didn't expect was the relatively good news we received. She was able to determine that Naomi's scoliosis is not due to bone deformity, but rather to muscle tension. I guess when she was ready to start puberty, which brings about a huge growth spurt, the muscles on one side of her back were really tight. They stayed tight and as she grew it forced the spine to curve. The chiropractor was encouraged because when Naomi stands up her spine looks straight, it is only when she bends over that it becomes quite noticeable. Anyways, she thinks that with treatment we should be able to change her curvature from 19 degrees to 4 degrees or so. Naomi has to really work on posture and she shouldn't sit for extended periods of time. That is a much better option than a back brace. Hope it works. As for her headaches, apparently her upper spine between her shoulders and her neck is all tightened up. She thinks this would definitely cause the headaches. We are not sure what set it off. It was something in the summer - I am thinking the trampoline was the evil culprit. So, that is the news on my "not-so-deformed" daughter.
3 comments

No comments: