Well, my week turned out o.k. We had Kaska Day on Friday. It was a nightmare to coordinate all the kids in the school into the events they chose to do. They got to choose from Traditional dancing, arctic sports, dene games, carving (which was a bust because the leader never showed up), traditional medicine or making babiche (rope from caribou hide).Normally this task would not be too overwhelming since we only have about 60 students. However, when you have to keep 6 students separated and still try to put them in the events they want, it becomes somewhat of a challenge. I kind of fell into the job of organizing everyone. Fran, the teacher in charge of this type of stuff, had a worse week than me. She spent the week
- being the principal (Thomas was away)
-dealing with "artist in the school" (a woman came and took each class for half a day and they did painting)
- handling monumental student problems (kids threatening each other, which ultimately resulted in 2/3 of the high school class losing their school email account - proud to say my girls and their best friends were among the other third)
- organizing Kaska day
- trying to teach her class (it is no accident this is listed last)
Anyway, I just followed her around like a lost puppy begging, until she gave me something to do that would help in a significant way. All that said, we had a great time on Friday. The kids were all great - we only had to send 1 home. I spent Thursday and Friday working in the kitchen. We made beef stew for lunch for everyone on Friday. Needless to say I was exhausted last night. I came home and just collapsed.
This morning, however, I have recovered and am looking forward to a relaxing weekend dreaming of Olympic glory!

No comments:
Post a Comment