Saturday, February 21, 2009

FACING MY FEARS

This year we have had so much snow. It just keeps coming and coming. So today was the day designated to shovel our roof. It desperately needs replacing which will be done this summer, but in the meantime we have to shovel off the snow. So Brian and I hauled over the ladder, grabbed our shovels and climbed onto the roof to shovel the 3 feet of snow that had accumulated. Climbing ladders, and especially climbing down ladders, is one of my greatest fears. I'm okay until I have to get off or onto the ladder. So Brian went up first and held the ladder for me and helped me off at the top. After 2 hours of grueling work it was time to head down. Of course, Brian had to hold the ladder and help me on so that I could get down. However, unbeknown to me Brian had had to move the ladder while shovelling to get around it. When he did the the latches that hold the two parts together had come undone and didn't reconnect properly. So as I was climbing onto the ladder it slipped off the edge of the roof. Thank goodness Brian was holding me and I still had one foot on the roof. So here we were on the roof with our ladder hopelessly 4 feet below us, leaning nonchalantly against the side of the house. We had no choice, but to jump onto the huge piles of snow we had moved off the roof. It was only a 4 foot drop, but my legs were shaking so bad it was a very difficult jump to make. I sat at the edge of the roof shaking like a leaf while Brian offered to get the ladder for me. The last thing I was going to do was get on that ladder again, so I gamely counted to 3 and jumped. It was a nice soft landing straight into the snow. Now to just rest my sore, aching back.
Half way done:Yesterday while it was snowing Brian and I went out for a ski. If was so gorgeous out in the woods. We were about 5 minutes down the path when Brian realized that he had forgotten the ambulance radio. Since we were on call, he had to go back and get it. I decided to ski ahead and wait for him down the trail. While I was waiting I took my skis off and flopped down into the snow. If was so quiet and beautiful. At least it was until I heard some animal scurrying around in the snow very close to my head. It was probably a mouse, but it really freaked me up. I was up out of that fluffy snow like a shot.
Oh the crazy things that happen in this desolate land!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really couldn't decide whether to laugh or gasp at your ladder fiasco. After all, it WAS pretty funny to read about, but I have a horrible fear of climbing ladders myself and can well imagine your fear. Way to be brave and jump off the roof. I don't think I could have done it.

Ann said...

It took a while for me to work up the courage to jump. I had to finally just go ahead, count and jump. I shook for a while after I came into the house.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the instructions Ann, I believe my Sister must have recieved your comments, she must think I have lost it!!

I could relate to your story, I hate ladders, and jumping off, or over things!! I can't even fatom that much snow, we don't see that much here in this part of Wyoming,they say:"It only snows once here in Wyoming, all of the rest of the time the wind just blows it around"!!

At least you had a fresh bed of snow to land in!! Have you ever taken good pictures of the northern lights? I am so curious about them, I will see them someday!!

Take care, watch those ladders!! Jill (HEREWEGO!)

Heather said...

I guess I'm weird cuz that kinds sounds like fun! ;)