Dawn, so sorry I didn't get around to posting these recipes before, but here they are at last.
CHICKEN SOUP
I boil chicken, or turkey, bones until the meat falls off the bones. You will have to replenish the water as you go. Sometimes I add onions and celery to the water. After the bones are cool enough to handle remove all the bones and keep the liquid and meat. Then I just add chopped potatoes, carrots, onions, and peas, (or whatever you want). I throw in 2 packets of chicken oxo and salt and pepper to taste. Then just let it cook.
You can add a flour/water mix to make it thicker, or just add enough vegetables to make it more like a stew if you want.
BEEF BARLEY SOUP
(one of my favourites and it's actually out of a recipe book. LOL)
2 tsp oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 cups cubed, peeled rutabaga (I only add this if I have it - I usually use potatos)
1/4 cup pot or pearl barley
1/4 tsp each dried thyme, dillweed and pepper
1 can beef stock (or use oxo and water)
1 1/2 cups cooked cubed beef
In large saucepan heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, celery, carrots & potato for about 3 minutes or until onion is softened.
Stir in barley, thyme, dillweed and pepper until barley is coated.
Stir in meat, beef stock and 3 cups water; bring to boil.
Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
Cook for about 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
Okay, now I am craving soup! Hope these work for you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Thanks Anne, I'll try them next time. I had been trying to avoid using the bouillion, as they have so much salt in them, but there is a purpose for them!
Can't wait.
Try low sodium boullion
Post a Comment