Saturday, September 15, 2007

ROUTINES (AND OTHER MUNDANE STUFF)

I have spent all week debating what to blog about. It has been such a crazy, busy week. The first week back at school is always like this. This year it has been even more so because Brian has been away. Monday was our first day back and all the kids were so excited to be there. Tuesday a few left because they suddenly realized they needed school supplies. Brian left for Whitehorse after school on Tuesday. He spent the last 3 days in meetings. He is taking part in a new reading program for our school which is designed to help students who struggle with reading. It means lots of trips into Whitehorse, but this year we don't mind because it is a good excuse to go see Naomi. Brian and Naomi have been spending their evenings hanging out together. Last night Hannah left for Whitehorse since she has to see the orthodontist. She hitched a ride in with her teacher. I must say, after the events of last week, I was quite anxious while I waited for the phone call saying she had arrived safely. It is not easy letting go of the kids, but I know they need the independence. Brian and the girls were planning on going to a movie last night. If Hannah gets her braces off today they can't come home until Sunday because they will have to wait for her retainer. In the meantime, I broke down and let Josh have a sleepover last night. Sleepovers are not high on my list of enjoyable moments. I like my sleep far too much. I was thinking about it last night - I never really enjoyed sleepovers when I was a kid either. I think too many things happened. I remember one when I was about 10. We had been playing outside during the day, digging something. I had jammed my big toe with the shovel. At the sleepover that night someone stepped on my foot and there was blood everywhere. I remember having to call my dad to drive over and pick me up at about 11:30 pm. I don't think he was too happy about that. Hmmm, maybe I just have too many bad sleepover memories. So, anyways, I was pretty strict about how late they stayed up. Good thing I trust Josh to listen because I went to bed at 11:00 and have no idea whether they had lights out at the appropriate time or not. But considering the consequence of not listening to me was a very, very long time with no possibility of sleepovers, I am quite confident that he listened. I was planning on sleeping in today, but 6:15 rolled around and my back was really hurting so I had no choice but to leave my warm, comfy bed. My plans for today include getting the house all clean before Brian gets here. I really attacked my cleaning chores last week - including cleaning clutter from the desk, etc, so there isn't too much other than regular household cleaning. That''s about all I have to say for now. Here's a picture just because:


I love this picture. Oscar was almost that small when we first got him, before he got all fat and lazy.

Note: Josh just got out of bed. His first words to me were: "we went to bed at the time you said." Awww. Isn't he great?

Another update: Hannah is now braces free. Brian said she came out of the office with a huge smile. He, however, is not too thrilled at the idea of another night in Whitehorse, bringing the total to 5 in a row. The retainer must be in place though. The only redeeming factor is more Naomi time. But they will complete all their shopping today and should leave Whitehorse by about 9:30 in the morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi

busy lady you are
Iam so happy for Hannah
smile
jo

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had quite the week. I bet you're really looking forward to having Brian and Hannah home. :)