Saturday, June 9, 2007

A PICNIC AT LAPIE CANYON

Yesterday the older kids at school got to spend the day at Lapie Canyon. It is about 12 km out of town. They had a gorgeous day for the picnic. Josh was one of the kids who rode his bike there and back. Brian was the teacher designated to ride his bike along with them. The trip out has 3 brutal hills to climb, but other than that it is a great ride. The rest of the kids rode in the school van. While there they had a big bonfire, roasted hotdogs, marshmallows, and apparently, oranges. The river was pretty high and extremely cold. The ice only came off a few weeks ago. But wouldn't you know it, the teacher's kids (our 3, plus one more) were the ones who just had to cross to the little island. Only 2 other kids were crazy enough to brave the water. Can you believe Naomi was one of the first to cross. I'm not sure what came over her - some form of maniacal craziness. They had a rope to hang on to and teachers were ready to go into rescue mode. I'm glad I wasn't there because just seeing the pictures was scary enough for me. I hate the thought of my kids doing crazy stunts like this. I always tell them - you are the only one of you there is, I can't replace you, so please be careful. They just smile sweetly and say "yes, Mom."
This is Hannah and Tyrone (her boyfriend) crossing. He was really scared to come back after this fall. His teacher had to really coax him across.
Naomi's teacher, Mr. Keating, is giving her a hand back out of the water.

What absolute craziness. Still sends shivers up my spine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like fun

Ann said...

Doesn't look like fun to me. Looks like sheer stupidity.

Anonymous said...

I would do that
smile

Anonymous said...

Looks freaky! I guess your kids take after Brian, eh? ;)