Saturday, July 3, 2010

A TRIBUTE TO MY MOM

Well, we've begun our vacation yet again. Unfortunately the weather hasn't been very cooperative. We've been experiencing a deluge of rain, rain, and more rain. I keep hoping that the rain will stop and we will get some sun, but we are now in Fort Nelson and haven't reached the sun yet. Driving the Alaska Highway is always a fantastic experience. Yesterday as we left Liard Hotsprings I had my camera in hand. The problem is that there are so many spectacular photo opportunities that we would be stopping literally every 10 minutes to get a picture, so I did what any sane, middle-aged woman did, I snapped the photos through the window. I was sitting in the back seat, so couldn't always get a great view. After I snapped the first photo I started laughing as I recalled our family photo albums from my childhood filled with photos my mom had taken from the front seat of our Winnebago. So, this is my Northern Rockies tribute to my mom. (Excuse the blurry photos, that's what happens when you take photos from a moving vehicle.)
Part of the highway winds right along the edge of Muncho Lake. It's beautiful, but I live in fear of meeting large trucks on this section.




We did stop for a quick rest and managed a couple nice photos. The wind was bitterly cold up near the summit.




Notice the fresh snow on the mountains?

This is the area when you drive along the edge of a cliff. Usually there is an abundance of stone sheep on the road, but sadly we didn't see any on this trip.

This is on the way down the mountain towards Fort Nelson.

No comments: