Thursday, April 9, 2009

MY TALE OF WOE

I can't believe that a week has passed and I am only now getting to writing this blog post. I guess that's just how hectic my life has been lately. Quite surprising considering we live in such a small place.
Last Thursday I took Josh and a couple friends into Whitehorse. Skills Canada was hosting a Skills Competition. Our boys weren't competing, but our school put a booth up to display some of the great things our students have accomplished. We choose these boys to go because the video they made won first prize in the safety video contest. They were so excited. They received $1000 to share and the school also got $1000. They are already planning a sequel for next year's competition.
Anyway, on with the tale of woe. We got into town and did some running around. Then the boys went their own way with the plan that I would pick up some kids from the dorms and meet them at Boston Pizza. I had an appointment to get my hair cut at 4:30. When I showed up the hairdresser couldn't do my hair then because her daughter had been in emergency the night before and she had to get her to the doctor by 4:45. So, I arranged to go back the next day. Then I drove to the hotel and went to my room for 1/2 an hour. All excited to take the kids to dinner, I went to the truck. However, when I turned the key there was no response. The lights came on, but it wouldn't turn over. Back to the room I went and reluctantly phoned the kids at the dorms to tell them I couldn't make it. Then I tromped back to the truck. Lucky for me the people parked next to me were just leaving and agreed to give me a boost. Unlucky for me the boost didn't work. Still nothing. Since we were all unequipped with cell phones, I hiked over to BP and met the boys for dinner. After dinner, and the hike back to the hotel, I phoned Brian and cried out my frustration.
It wasn't until the next morning that I was able to do anything constructive. Auto shops started opening at 8:00 and I started phoning. I was able to get it into the shop we usually go to, but had to get it towed the 2 blocks. Then I loaded the boys into the taxi and went to the competition. Part way through the morning I phoned the shop only to discover that the problem was the shifting cable had broken. So even though it said it was in Park, it wasn't, hence I couldn't start the truck. The biggest problem though, was no one in Whitehorse had a spare part. They ordered one, but it wouldn't be there until Monday afternoon. Here was the bright part of my day: My boss was there at the time, so I asked him to watch the boys while I went to rent myself a vehicle so I could get home. Right away he said, "you don't need to rent anything, I'll get you a government fleet car." Then he promptly walked over to the minister of education, borrowed his cell phone and called to reserve me a car. Then he drove me down to pick it up. I didn't have to pay anything and it even came with a gas card. Sweet!
So, I was able to get home safe and sound. Brian left this morning in the van to pick up the girls for Easter. He will exchange vehicles while there and hopefully that will be the end of our vehicle woes for a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. I'm glad everything worked out ok, but what a lousy trip.